Summer is the perfect time to catch up on all the things you’ve been meaning to do—like get your to-be-read (TBR) pile down to a manageable size (if that’s even possible). As the longer days with better weather beg you to venture outside and crack open your current read, we at Ars considered our recent favorite reads to compile this makeshift summer 2019 reading list.
These titles may not be what most would consider “summer reads.” Scant few white-sand beaches and picture-perfect resorts fill these pages—but that doesn’t make them any less escape-worthy. Whether they be space operas or true crime sagas, we consider a “summer” read to be a story that you can fully immerse yourself in, leaving work and other worries behind even just for a little while.
Regardless of whether you prefer reading physical books, e-books, or audiobooks, these recommendations will keep you wanting to read all summer long. Apologies in advance for adding to your already extensive TBR—but we think these books are worth it.
- Cox Internet now charges $15 extra for faster access to online game servers
- The Orville proves it’s one of the best sci-fi shows on TV with S2 finale
- Coding without a keystroke: The hands-free creation of a full video game
- With its latest battle, Game of Thrones solidifies its seat on TV’s VFX throne
- Id Software’s open source shooters get ported to Apple’s iOS, tvOS