Last Wednesday we reported that bitcoin had risen to $6,000 for the first time this year. On Monday, just five days later, bitcoin reached a new 2019 high of $8,000. As I write this one bitcoin is worth about $7,900.
Of course, bitcoin reached much higher levels in late 2017 and early 2018. Bitcoin’s current price just under $8,000 is less than half the all-time high of $19,500 set in December 2017. Bitcoin was last worth at least $8,000 in July 2018.
As often happens, bitcoin’s rise is part of a broader cryptocurrency boom. On Saturday, the price of ether—the currency of the Ethereum network—rose above $200 for the first time in 2019. Other cryptocurrencies, including Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash, Monero, and Dash are at or near 2019 highs.
- Trump administration puts offshore drilling expansion in Arctic, Atlantic on ice
- After White House stop, Twitter CEO calls congresswoman about death threats
- Elon Musk reaches settlement in SEC tweet battle
- Probable Russian Navy covert camera whale discovered by Norwegians
- SpaceX cuts broadband-satellite altitude in half to prevent space debris