LOS ANGELES—This spring, I visited game studio Infinity Ward to learn about its upcoming “reimagining” of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. During the reveal event, the studio’s reps mentioned multiple “pillars” of the upcoming CoD game, set to launch October 25, then focused on the game’s single-player missions.
Shortly after that, someone walked into the room and said, “the rest of this event is indefinitely embargoed,” then took the wraps off of arguably the best thing I’ve seen in a CoD game in years: a two-on-two “Gunfight” versus mode.
That embargo is finally up, following an official Gunfight gameplay reveal on Twitch this morning, so now I can finally tell you about a first-person versus mode that combines the original frantic action of 2007’s CoD4:MW and the utter tension of Counter-Strike. In a gaming landscape forever altered by battle royale modes, Gunfight makes the case that sometimes, less is more.
- Cox Internet now charges $15 extra for faster access to online game servers
- The Orville proves it’s one of the best sci-fi shows on TV with S2 finale
- Coding without a keystroke: The hands-free creation of a full video game
- With its latest battle, Game of Thrones solidifies its seat on TV’s VFX throne
- Id Software’s open source shooters get ported to Apple’s iOS, tvOS