This is a real thing, and it can now be yours for $10 at Battle.net. [credit:
Blizzard Entertainment / Carbot Animations ]
Do not be deceived by the above gallery. This is not a prank or a proof of concept. StarCraft: Cartooned is now live at Blizzard’s online store as an official $10 add-on to 2017’s StarCraft Remastered. It redraws every single piece of art in the classic RTS game to look and animate like a children’s cartoon, without otherwise changing the core gameplay.
Specifically, StarCraft: Cartooned looks like a Carbot Animations cartoon—because the YouTube channel in question, operated by Canadian artist and animator Jonathan Burton, was tapped to create Blizzard’s first full cosmetic overhaul mod for a retail game.
The Cartooned DLC does not add any new gameplay or mechanical content to the StarCraft Remastered package. Instead, it transforms every single graphical element in the game, from menus to sprites to between-mission briefings, to look like the Carbot Animations animated series “StarCrafts,” now in its seventh season on YouTube. (Carbot’s YouTube channel also includes unofficial animated series based on Blizzard game series Diablo and WarCraft.)
- Cox Internet now charges $15 extra for faster access to online game servers
- The Orville proves it’s one of the best sci-fi shows on TV with S2 finale
- Coding without a keystroke: The hands-free creation of a full video game
- With its latest battle, Game of Thrones solidifies its seat on TV’s VFX throne
- Id Software’s open source shooters get ported to Apple’s iOS, tvOS