HBO took advantage of the record number of viewers tuning in to the Game of Thrones finale last night to release the first teaser for season three of Westworld. The teaser is deliberately vague on details, but it looks like we’re in for a dystopian near-future scenario set not in the original theme park but in the real outside world.
(Some spoilers for first two seasons below.)
If you’re new to the series, the titular Westworld is one of six immersive theme parks owned and operated by a company called Delos Inc. It’s essentially Live Action Role Play (LARP-ing) combined with a choose-your-own-adventure experience. The park is populated with a “cast” of very human-looking androids, called hosts, who follow a bunch of intertwining narratives, rebooting the same narrative every day. The park’s well-heeled visitors can pretty much do whatever they like to the hosts—rape, pillage, torture, murder—and they do so more often than not, because they don’t see the hosts as anything more than unfeeling props in their private dramas.
- Cox Internet now charges $15 extra for faster access to online game servers
- The Orville proves it’s one of the best sci-fi shows on TV with S2 finale
- Coding without a keystroke: The hands-free creation of a full video game
- With its latest battle, Game of Thrones solidifies its seat on TV’s VFX throne
- Id Software’s open source shooters get ported to Apple’s iOS, tvOS